In the 1940s, a group of scientists who worked for the Upjohn Company asked architect Frank Lloyd Wright to design homes for them on a 72-acre parcel of land located in Galesburg, Michigan. 

The Curtis Meyer Residence (1948) is one of four houses Frank Lloyd Wright designed for "The Acres".  Each home sits on one round acre, with the rest of the land shared by the  owners. The other 3 Wright designed homes are the Weisblat house, the Pratt House, and the Epstein House. In 1960 a 5th home was added. It was designed by Will Willsey who had attended Taliesin in the 1940's.

Mr. Wright paid two visits to the site. One preliminary visit to plat out the property and one during the construction of the homes whose building was supervised by Taliesin apprentice Jack Howe.  All of the homes were designed in the Usonian style.  Wright proposed the use of the adjective Usonian  in place of American to describe the particular character of the American landscape as distinct and free of previous architectural conventions.  The distinctly American ("USA") style was to be uncomplicated and relatively economical. Frank Lloyd Wright said that his Usonian houses would encourage "more simplified and... more gracious living".  

All four houses at The Acres utilize these concepts with a carport, radiant floor heating, block construction and Honduran Mahogany accents.  The Meyer house was constructed with commercial grade concrete block in order to accommodate the circular nature of the design.  The Meyer house holds special interest to admirers of Wright's architecture as he was drawn more and more to the circular form, culminating in one of his masterpieces, The Guggenheim Museum. The house employed the use of 8x8 blocks and 4x16 blocks (both approved by Wright) rather than his usual 8x16 block.  After Mr. Wright's second visit, he ordered Mr. Howe to spray the block with gunite.  He was interested in eliminating the vertical joint of the block and emphasizing the sweeping horizontal nature of his circular design.